Friday, September 28, 2012

Why 6 Turnover Cincy will beat Pitt Scarred Virginia Tech

First and foremost: Welcome to The Flex! Come for all you sports opinion needs! This will be my first writing piece. Being a die-hard Bearcats fan, I'll be highlighting our big game tomorrow against the Virginia Tech Hokies.


Its a big game for Bearcat nation, and arguably the biggest game of the season. Unfortunately, we don't get the big games teams in other conferences are blessed with. And Ohio State (booo) chickened out leaving us playing an FCS team and then the Hokies. The game is set in the home of the Redskins: FedEx Field in Landover, MD. Surprisingly we are the home team in a match that is cleearly significantly closer to the "away" team's turf. Reading interviews from head coach Butch Jones, we are treating this as an away game and rightfully so. So let's review each teams' season thus far:

Virginia Tech Hokies (3-1, 1-0):



Game one for the Hokies was a *yawn* 20-17 overtime win against a now 2-2 Georgia Tech. Now let me saw, GT is scrappy team; with that option play you never know what to expect. But for a team like VT who came into the season with high hopes of an ACC championship, we anticipated better. Yes Logan Thomas was super efficient, yes it was the first game of their respective seasons, yes it was a big ACC match-up. We can make excuses left and right, but the talent loss in Blacksburg has obviously taken its toll. Ok, a win is a win, sure. But VT came out and set the tone for what I believe will be a lackluster season for the Hokies.

Game two was a 42-7 blowout over Austin Peay. Not much to say here, this was expected.

Game three made me very happy, I must admit! A 35-17 blowout loss to now 2-2 Pitt. This is a Pitt team who, pardon my football French, looked absolutely horrendous thus far. Pitt came out and got stomped at home by FCS Youngstown State, then turned around and revisited the same fate in Nippert by my very own Bearcats! Obviously some identity issues with Pitt, along with VT. Now, I would love to use that argument that we beat Pitt and Pitt beat VT, thus we can beat VT. However, I am a firm believer in games are not decided in this fashion and performance differs game to game. But, I digress.

Game four consisted of a 37-0 blowout handed to Bowling Green. Again, nothing to say; expected.

Overall, I see a very inconsistent Virginia Tech team. Individual losses to graduation and the NFL have put quite a hurting on the Hokies. Obviously a team with a deep football history, but one that I believe will have a down season. I'm predicting a 8-4 season with 3 straight losses to Clemson, Miami (FL), and Florida State (a national championship caliber team I believe btw).


Cincinnati Bearcats (2-0, 1-0):

Ok, let me get this out in the open: obviously Cincinnati has only played two games. Even I recognize that we cannot fully evaluate a team with two easy wins. Still, I have faith in my Bearcats.

Game one. 34-10 Pitt whooping. Muchie Legaux was very efficient, not forcing any balls and not turning it over. I like that he took shorter throws to keep the chains moving all the way to the endzone. The running game by the new three headed monster was outstanding. George Winn is the new starter and work horse, Jameel Poteat is the up and coming power house, and the small speedster in RAIII (Ralph Abernathy III, duh). Again, me and my little brother could have looked like football gods against this Pitt team (shoutout little bro!).

Game two. Sloppy 23-7 win over FCS Delaware State. The Bearcats shot themselves in the foot six times with two interceptions and FOUR fumbles. No bueno. I feel that they just got too cocky. Still, I don't care who you are or who you're playing; if you overcome six turnovers and win by 16, you got a hell of a defense. Which is a perfect transition to my next point: Cincinnati has shown a solid and ruthless defense. They bailed them out on this one.

Overall, two inconsistent games made it difficult to judge this team. However, I always say its better to shoot yourself in the foot six time than have some stranger do it for you. The Bearcats and Butch Jones will use this as a learning experience and persevere. 


My perdition: Cincinnati over Virginia Tech 26-17.


Both teams are strong offensively. Cincy's defense will be ruthless. VT's running game will be solid, but Thomas isn't enough. I'm betting, unfortunately, Munchie will have at least one pick. On the other hand, Logan Thomas will find himself eating grass at least three times. Cincinnati will come out on top of this one and finish Big East Champs, 11-1 (that Rutgers game scares me). Yeah I said it. Peace.

No comments: